BRING THIS QUESTIONNAIRE TO YOUR NEXT ELDERCARE FACILITY TOUR
- How does the staff interact with the residents? Is there an overall climate of respect?
- Does the staff look content? Are they rushed or irritated?
- Do they address the residents by their names? Calling an elder “honey” or “sweetie” is not acceptable, unless that is the resident’s preferred nickname.
- How much training has the staff received? Ask to see the training logs. Do they have some measure of competency showing that not only did staff attend a training session, they actually understood the material? Pressure ulcer prevention, elder abuse education and dementia care are essentials that all staff should master.
- How is training delivered? Is it lecture or computer-based “PowerPoint”? Is there a hands-on or a multimedia computer program that brings life to the training sessions?
- What is the staff turnover rate in the facility? Is it more than 30% per year? More than 50%? How does this compare to other facilities in the region?
- Is there potential for good employees to move up the ladder? How does good work get rewarded?